Sunday, January 24, 2016

Gourmet Run

Lago CT Polar Bears, from left: Fonz, newbie Ed, Mac, Token2, Captain, Grumpy, Princess, Bob and down front Pogy.
Motorcycle Polar Bear Blog, ride to Lago, North Brunswick Township, NJ, January 17, 2016.

Editor's Note: Well my horrible head cold cleared enough to ride this Sunday, but a whale of a work duty seized first priority. At The Maritime Aquarium we have a life-size, inflatable, walk-in whale exhibit on loan from NOAA.



By: John Howard, a.k.a. Token2

Eight Bears inclusive of a first time cub (Ed, welcome) made the ride south to North Brunswick on a seasonably cold but gray day. The group opined that the return journey seemed colder, though the temperature gauge reported 38°F northbound making a lie of our impressions. That bested the low 30’s on the way south. Pogy who is known (but widely disrespected) for his worldly knowledge put it down to increasing moisture in the air. I believe he checked that by removing his woolly bobble hat for a brief moment in order to gain the benefit of more skin exposure. Fortunately the forecasted snow flurries/showers did not appear until we were all safely back in CT.

Capt. K took the lead with Mac in the rear. It was a joy to ride in staggered but well held formation, at least until the Meadowlands were reached. At that point I made a quick exit into the Lombardi services to attend to an emerging problem from a partially detached windshield spoiler. Being 7th in line I waved to Mac to keep going, which he and they did. After attending to the issue the only way south is to join the eastern spur; I did a check swing into the Edison services to make sure the group were not waiting and continued on to Lago.

Capt reported the good start in the formation was lost as the NJ Turnpike straightened out, demanding less of the riders' attention to detail.

Arriving at Lago I was astonished to find that I was the first CT Bear on the lot. Huh? Perhaps they had waited on I95 on the section I had not traveled? Nah…Capt. was leading; pirate rules in effect (turns out he did not know I had dropped out). Just as I was checking my phone for messages  Capt. and gang appear from the opposite direction to the normal route. Still we were all on premises by 11 am, so Captain’s detour through North Brunswick, East Brunswick, Milltown (but fortunately not New Brunswick, eh) was but a trifle inconvenience. As is often the case it is an ‘ill wind that blows nobody any good’ and Pogy announced he arrived with 100.7 miles on the clock, 4 points! Woooo hooooo.

Lago sounds so much spiffier than the previous name of Sir John’s that the restaurant dropped a few years back. This year the evolution continued with a posh buffet replacing the a la carte menu that included a number customarily priced hot sandwiches. But, uh hummm..as we are from Connecticut we are deserving of a high society lunch once in a while. More so now we have omnipresent royalty in our ranks. We were treated to an omelet station, carving station with rib of beef, chilled shrimp and many other gourmet delights that reminded me of the feast we enjoy at Long Valley. Of course the price was set to match, high enough to stimulate a sharp intake of breath from some. Even as we yelped, Fonz sprang into action and dropped a money off coupon into the mix so our final tally was more palatable. Way to go Polar Rican!

After lunch we assembled in the parking lot where Grumpy began the process of setting up for the group shot. Clearly a little rust has accumulated during his absence over the first half of the season, it took several Mulligan’s before we saw evidence of the flash. Bob H., who joined the group shot  got into the spirit of things by heckling that he wondered if the group shot would be completed before we were at next week’s destination. It was all too much for Grumpy who blew a fuse. No, don’t get me wrong, it was the 15A one that fed his head and tail lights which he fixed at Montvale services. It is great to have you back Grumpy!

Fonz ponied up for the refreshments at the top, though as a result of a miscalculation we ended up one hot chocolate short;  Pogy voluntarily missed out. So Fonzie, if your MSF schedule this coming season has you working every rainy weekend you will know why. Anyway, the rest of us enjoyed the break.

Princess, we are all looking forward to a critics report on Jim’s performance in ‘…on the way to the Forum’  illustrated with many pictures including a worldwide exclusive a ‘up the toga’ shot. Don’t be bashful, those Romans were naughty fellows!

On that I had better end……

An addendum from Joanna Wojtowicz, a.k.a. HRH Princess:

We had a great ride today. Token2 didn't take any pictures but asked me to forward them to you. I posted all pictures in my Polar Bear rides album on FB. You can take any pictures you want for the blog.

Token2 joined me at the bus stop, at the Hutch and I-278. We had a short but meaningful conversation about current behavior of the stock market before Grumpy arrived ahead of the pack, seemed to have some odd scarf issues...we all just watched and tapped our fingers on the throttles as he was wrapping himself with it. Finally Fonz yelled "TODAY!" to which  Grumpy, as usually, showed a gloved finger.

Captain lead the way with couple of scenic town detours. We forgive him, everyone still remembers Montgomery. There hasn't been one ride, when someone didn't mention that.

Polar Bears present today: Captain, Fonz, new rider Ed (who rode actually pretty well, but of course, Pogy had to find something to point out and rightfully so!), Grumpy (as always grumpy), H.R.H. Princess, Pogy, Token2 and Mac.

Today's was the 13th ride of the Polar Bears Grand Tour season, and that takes us over to the number of remaining rides going down. Only 12 to go!!! Points are racking up!

After our hot chocolate stop at The Top, I went to see James in a toga!!! He was just great, as always. We have a very talented Bear in our group. It was the most hilarious play I've ever seen. "A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum" is the longest play's title I've ever seen too! I cried laughing! Literally!!!
I showed up without a ticket and got front row seat!!!! Lol... People there respect Royalty!  One kid, looking at my helmet,  said to me: "You're so rad!" I still have to Google that or check with Urban dictionary!!! LOL...
By the time the play was over, my bike was covered with an inch of snow... I knew I could handle it. Roads were wet, snow wasn't sticking. It was a good experience riding in that kind of weather, however, I wish not to do that again unless absolutely necessary! Lol

Made it home safe and took all possible precautions. I remembered, when you told me about patches of ice forming under the overpasses. I thank you for that, it stuck in my mind.  Did couple of U-turns myself, but all good and safe at the end of the day.

Today, I totally feel like a Polar Bear! 













No comments:

Post a Comment